Sunday, June 10, 2012

Self Help and Motivational Seminars: Who are they motivating?

I would be a huge hypocrite if I told you that I never attended personal growth seminars, never read a multitude of self help books, and never spent thousands of dollars trying to fix myself. We are an era of "self aware", but at the same token, it sometimes feels like "the big me". What's wrong with me? What are my issues? How I have been conditioned? What are my hopes and dreams? What about me? Why have I been so unhappy with me life? Me or I, me or I, me or I?  I am at a space where I keep hearing about people talking about what's wrong with themselves and that the people in their lives should take the same courses and read the same material. It feels like an old record that keeps playing unskipped. Why don't we just change the record?

I want to tell everyone that there is nothing wrong with them. To leave the people in their lives "be" and not try to preach their new found religion of self. Our world seems pretty upside down, but are we really willing to risk our comfy lives and lay them on the line to attack these global and social problems? The honest answer is no. So what makes "self petting" a solution to making the world a better place? I am sorry, I don't buy it. Not one last dollar of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment